Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Learning Commons remains closed to visitors at this time. For more information, please check our full COVID service adaptations.
What can we help you find?
Monday - Thursday
10:00am - 2:00pm
Access our chat service from the icon in the corner of your screen. Let us help you in real time, or leave a message after hours and we'll respond when we're back.
8/28/2020: Students may borrow SMCC books (but not textbooks) and request items from other libraries through MINERVA’s interlibrary loan option. Materials can be picked up via appointment and/or curbside pickup. For more information, or to make arrangements, please email: mLibrary@smccme.edu.
Browse the News
Access local and national papers, as well as popular magazines. Login with your SMCC credentials for full access.
|Bangor Daily News
Local news from across the state, including central and eastern Maine.
|Portland Press Herald
Local news with a focus on southern Maine and the greater Portland area. Contact the Library for username and password.
|New York Times
Login with your SMCC credentials and create an account to receive access to the full NYT website with no pay walls.
Access these eBooks, audio books, and magazines for more casual reading options.
Download eBooks and audiobooks provided by the State of Maine. Use your Library ID posted on the back of your SMCC ID card to access items.
Flipster provides user-friendly, browsable access to popular magazines from a variety of publishers.
COVID Remote Reference
COVID Services Update: Research & Reference
Need a little help? Reference & research support from our Librarians is available! You can always email email@example.com with general questions or appointment requests. You can also make an appointment for a 30 minute video conference by accessing the schedules below:
South Portland Campus
September - May
|Monday - Thursday
||8:00am - 8:00pm
||8:00am - 5:00pm
||4:00pm - 8:00pm
*The Learning Commons will open at 9:30am on the 3rd Friday of every month for our LC Staff Meeting.
September - May
General LC Hours
|Monday - Friday
||8:00am - 5:00pm
|Saturday - Sunday
Reference Librarian Available
|Tuesday - Thursday
||8:00am - 4:30pm
About the Library
For general questions, please use:
About the Library
The Library is a student-friendly center for research, study, and casual reading resources. In addition to print books, journals, and DVDs, the Library offers 24/7 online access to the collections of libraries throughout the state of Maine, as well as a growing collection of electronic books, encyclopedias, journals, magazines, and newspapers. The Library is staffed by an expert team of professionals dedicated to empowering students to become independent learners who are proficient and comfortable with the use of library tools and resources. Students can get help by visiting the library, attending a workshop, or contacting us via phone or email.
Policies & Procedures
Your SMCC ID card is your library card. ID cards are issued at the campus security office. You can use your ID to:
- Borrow circulating books for three weeks (with the option to renew for three additional weeks).
- Borrow current textbooks and other course reserves for same-day use within the LC area.
- Borrow DVDs, CDs, and periodicals for one week (with the option to renew for one additional week).
No overdue fines will be charged for overdue materials. The one exception will be reserve material which will be charged $1 per day.
- Students will receive an overdue notice via email 7 days after the material is due. The notice will say that if they do not return the material in the next week, they will be charged the retail price of the book plus a $10 processing fee.
- 14 days after the material is due, a charge will be placed on the students' accounts for the retail cost of the book plus a $10 processing fee. If students return the book before the charge is placed on the account, no charges will be assessed.
- If the students return the book after, they will be refunded everything except the $10 processing fee per item. Any outstanding fees may result in suspension of his/her student's library privileges and/or a hold placed on his/her college account.
Overdue notices are sent via email, as a courtesy.
Accessing Other Libraries
SMCC students, faculty and staff may also access resources from the following libraries using their SMCC ID:
- South Portland Public Library
- Maine College of Art
- Saint Joseph's College
- University of New England
- University of Southern Maine
Borrowing privileges may vary are use of all resources are subject to the lending library's policies.
||Director of the Learning Commons
||Head Access & Technical Services Librarian
||LC Outreach; Instruction & Digital Integration Librarian
||Interlibrary Loan, Patron Services, & Archives Librarian
||Reference & Instruction Librarian
||Reference & Instruction Librarian, Midcoast Campus
||Reference & Instruction Librarian, Evening & Weekends